We now arrive at our 5th lesson in our 10-part series on Principles of Growth and Maturity to Reach Your Destiny. Lessons 5 – 7 will focus on Sonship.
Understanding your sonship identity, what builds it up and what tears it down, teaches you to build on a foundation of rock instead of sand.
Building Identity Unlocks the Path of Sonship
Romans 8:14, 15 says that sonship identity is the place of being led and where we cry out, “Abba Father.”
Being led refers to active interaction with God daily. This means you are a son (or daughter) in God’s house whom He trusts with responsibility and authority. It is not just outward obedience but obedience from a heart that cries Abba, Daddy!
Sonship is a place of walking out the Father’s love:
- Problem solving gets established. You know how to take the steps to overcome in any situation.
- Relationship skills are developed. You see past the surface of situations and know how to address the real issues.
Sonship Identity Defined
Sonship involves establishing our identity as a child of God— nothing more, nothing less.
Romans 8:16 —The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God.
You are a son/daughter of the Most High God. Your worth in the sight of God is beyond price.
This identity determines your ability to solve problems and grow, as well as function in community and in accountability. These are huge keys to walking out your calling and destiny. Allow me to connect this all together for you.
We all have embraced lies about our identity at some level. These lies have come into our lives from different people at different times and we have embraced them. This is the problem.
Now let me give you an example. Say you are fearful of a health issue. Fear is always based in an abandonment lie. In other words, the fear comes from not believing deep down that God is there for you and will take of you. We may know the truth of what the Word says, but the health issue you’re dealing with seems to communicate the contrary.
The trials of life serve to test where you have embraced faith in your sonship identity of God’s love for you.
As you learn to discern your love deficits, you can return to the lesson on security (part 1) and fill in those deficit gaps. This will help reveal more identity lies.
Sonship identity is a big topic, much more than I can cover here, but this link will help you go a little deeper in understanding it. Sonship Based Living.
A Road Map
These next lessons will give you a road map to take you from understanding your identity base in being a beloved child of God, all the way to reaching your destiny in that love.
- We will cover how sonship identity leads to problem-solving skills to help you move forward in all the challenges you face until you know how to overcome.
- Overcoming leads to functioning in imperfect community. Since community is made up of imperfect people, still on their journey to maturity, conflicts will always arise at some point. You will be empowered to know how to overcome them rather than to be shut down by them. You are hence, life-giving in a community.
- As you develop deeper identity and core values through contribution in community, you will grow into your giftings and calling and reach your destiny. And nothing is more fulfilling than that!
Talk to You Again Soon
I look forward to communicating with you next time when I’ll cover Sonship Road Map – Your Path to Growth, Maturity, and Destiny.
Do you have a question about any of this? Feel free to contact me. All email goes to my personal inbox and I will be happy to respond in a timely fashion.
Did you find this page via Twitter or a link from a friend?
This lesson is Part 5 of a 10-part course on Principles of Growth and Maturity to Reach Your Destiny.
These lessons are delivered free when you subscribe to our Members Section on our website. Click here to subscribe — it’s free.
Of course, if this is not for you, you can unsubscribe with just a couple of clicks. And we’ll never rent or share your information with anyone.